This sandwich screams summer! Seriously, look at it.
The tomatoes are a mix of ones from my dad’s garden and from the farmer’s market, and served as the inspiration for me to make a BLT.
I know BLT’s are a pretty standard summer sandwich, we had them for dinner along with corn on the cob many summer nights at home, but I’ve always felt they needed a little something. I normally put peppers and honey mustard on mine to jazz things up (and because I don’t love mayo).
This time I decided to make my own sweet and spicy mayo by adding dijon, honey, and sriracha (I’ve also made this with greek yogurt so if you aren’t sold on mayo you can sub greek yogurt no problem).
I also had some avocado at home (because I went crazy when they were on sale for $1 a piece and had avocado on everything for like a week… ) so I mashed that up and added it as well.
I served mine with corn on the cob and a mini cantaloupe I picked up at the farmer’s market, and it was a delicious summer meal.
Take advantage of the remaining summer produce to make yourself this delicious sandwich, it’s full of veggies so it’s healthy regardless of all the bacon :p
- - 8 slices bacon
- - 4 pieces bread (I used whole grain)
- - 1/2 an avocado
- - 1 large tomato
- - 1 bell pepper (I used half yellow, half orange)
- - lettuce
- - salt & pepper
- - 1 Tbs mayo
- - 1 tsp dijon
- - 1 tsp honey
- - 2 tsp sriracha (adjust to your taste)
- - salt & pepper
- - Cook the bacon as desired
- - Toast the bread
- - Mash the avocado with a fork, it's ok if there are some chunks
- - Slice the tomato
- - Cut the pepper in to thick strips
- - Take two slices of bread and top each with half of the mashed avocado, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- - Layer tomato,pepper, bacon and lettuce on top of the avocado
- - Spread the remaining two slices of bread with the mayo and place on top to assemble the sandwiches
- - Cut as desired and serve
- - Stir all ingredients together until combined, adjusting the sriracha and salt & pepper to taste