Since it’s icy, cold, and all around dreary outside right now I decided to brighten my day with some citrus cookies with a citrus-y sweet icing.
These cookies are really soft, airy, and delicious, and the icing is super simple but really makes the wh0le cookie even better. All of the fresh citrus juice and zest makes the whole cookie pop, I highly suggest you make some!
You’ll need shortening, sugar, egg, lemons, limes, and oranges, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Cream the butter and sugar and add an egg.
Then stir in your fresh zest.
Add the dry ingredients and the juice and mix together.
Plop ’em on an ungreased baking sheet by the spoonful and bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 °F.
Whip up the simple glaze with sugar, vanilla, fresh squeezed juice, and zest.
Just look at all the citrus zest goodness!
When the cookies have cooled spoon the glaze over the cookies.
Then serve them up and enjoy!
Citrus Cooking with Citrus Sugar Glaze
Yields 2 dozen cookies
2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh squeezed juice (mix of lemon, lime, and orange juice)
3 tablespoons citrus zest (1 tablespoon each lemon, lime, and orange zest)
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons zest (1 teaspoon each lemon, lime, and orange zest)
1/8 – 1/4 cup fresh squeezed juice (mix of lemon, lime, and orange juice)
– Preheat oven to 400 °F
– Cream together the shortening and sugar, then beat in the egg, then stir in the zest
– Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
– Alternate adding dry ingredients and the juice to the shortening/sugar mixture
– Place on ungreased baking sheet by spoonful
– Bake at 400 °F for 6-8 minutes
– Take out of oven, remove to wire racks
– For the icing mix powdered sugar, vanilla, fresh zest, and fresh squeezed juice
– Spoon the glaze onto the cooled cookies