I’ve seen various recipes for pizzas using vegetables as a crust floating around pinterest and other random corners of the internet for the past few months and was always intrigued by the idea. When I visited home a few weeks ago and found some delicious zucchinis and squash I knew I wanted to try making pizza with them, it turned out great! We made traditional pizzas with tomato sauce and mozzarella and we also tried using pepper jack cheese (which ended up being AMAZINGLY good) as well as some pesto pizzas.
First slice up some zucchini and squash into 1/4″ thick slices and lay them on a greased baking sheet. Put them in the oven and bake for a little.
Then take them out, cover them with your desired sauce (tomato or pesto), and add cheese. We also topped ours with some dried Italian spices (basil, oregano, and parsley) and some fresh ground black pepper.
Return them to the oven until the cheese is bubbly and gooey and delicious.
Then serve them up on a plate and enjoy!
They’re kinda like bagel bites, but healthier.
Zucchini Pizza Bites
4 zucchini or squash
1/4 cup tomato sauce or pesto (or some of each)
1/2 cup cheese (we used a mixture of mozzarella and pepper jack)
shredded Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley)
fresh cracked black pepper
– Preheat oven to 375 °F
– Slice the zucchini into 1/4″ thick disks and place on a greased baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes
– Remove from the oven and spoon tomato sauce or pesto over top
– Place cheese on top of sauce
– Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and pepper
– Return to the oven for 15 minutes (or until the cheese is melted)
– Remove from oven and serve