My boyfriend came to visit about a week ago and brought some absolutely amazing cookies with him. He knows I love all things chocolate and that coconut is one of my favorite flavors, so he whipped up these cookies and he agreed to share the recipe with all of you, so without further ado, here’s Luke with a fantastic cookie recipe!
Like Taylor said, I know she has an unwavering love of chocolate, and both of us have been trying out more coconut in our cooking so combining the two into a delicious cookie seemed like a no-brainer! Toasting the coconut really kicks up the delicious coconut flavor (plus it makes your kitchen smell fantastic) and the melty dark chocolate chunks give it the perfect final touch.
Bake the coconut until it’s a nice golden brown (and the delightful aroma fills your kitchen). It’s useful to stir the coconut halfway through.
While the coconut is toasting away in the oven, prepare your dry ingredients. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together and set that aside for later.
You can also cream the brown sugar, coconut oil, and butter while the coconut is toasting (don’t forget to stir and mix it!).
Next beat in the egg, coconut extract, and vanilla extract.
By now your coconut should be done so just set that aside to cool.
Take your bar of dark/semisweet chocolate (I went with Ghiardelli because I like to spoil Taylor whenever I can) and break it up into small chunks and set those aside too.
Go ahead and grease two baking sheets (or not, if you’re fancy and have silicone baking mats).
Add in the chocolate chunks.
And the toasted coconut!
Finally, drop 2″ balls of this delicious cookie dough on your greased baking sheets and then bake – the cookies should be a bit brown on the edges but plenty soft in the middle.
Set them out to cool and enjoy the wonderful gooey chocolate mixed with the sweet toasted coconut!
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes 18 cookies
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 bar of semisweet or dark chocolate
– Preheat oven to 350 ºF
– Spread coconut on a foil-covered baking tray and bake for 12 minutes, stirring halfway though
– Mix together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
– In a separate bowl cream together the butter, coconut oil, and brown sugar
– Beat the vanilla, coconut extract, and egg into the sugar/butter mixture
– Then slowly mix the dry ingredients into the sugar/butter mixture
– Break the baking bar into 1/2″ square chunks
– Mix the chocolate chunks and toasted coconut into the dough
– Grease two baking trays and drop 2″ balls of dough onto the greased sheets
– Bake the cookies for 10 – 11 minutes at 350 ºF, until the edges start to brown
–Set the cookies on racks to cool and enjoy!