I made popsicles! With tequila!
Earlier this summer I bought a cheap popsicle mold when I was browsing through a kitchen store and I have most definitely gotten my money’s worth. I started with simple fruit juices or homemade creamsicles (OJ + heavy cream), then I concocted these fruity margarita pops and I’ve made them 3 times in a month…
I knew I wanted to make a popsicle that included margarita flavors (tequila and lime) plus coconut (my current go to fruit flavor). Then I got inspired by some fresh strawberries and voila these Strawberry Coconut Margarita Popsicles were created.
I first made them at the beach, but I felt like I wasn’t actually tasting any tequila, and HELLO, it’s supposed to be a margarita popsicle, I want to know there’s alcohol there.
Sooo I played around with adding more and I think I’ve found the perfect amount of tequila and the popsicles still freeze solid.
You could also omit the tequila if you’re looking for a kid-friendly summer treat. And if you don’t have a popsicle mold you can use dixie cup and popsicle sticks, get creative, you need these popsicles in your life.
- - 1 heaping cup diced strawberries
- - 1 to 3 teaspoons sugar depending on sweetness of your berries
- - 1/2 cup coconut milk
- - 1 lime, zest and juice
- - 4 tablespoons tequila
- - Place the diced strawberries in a sauce pan and sprinkle with the sugar
- - Cook over medium heat, use a wooden spoon to smash the strawberries as they cook
- - When the juice from the strawberries reaches a syrupy consistency (~5-7 minutes) remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
- FOR MARBLED POPSICLES
- - Mix the lime zest and juice with the coconut milk
- - Add 2 tablespoon of tequila to the coconut milk/lime mix
- - Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of tequila into the strawberries
- - Pour both the strawberry and coconut mixtures into the popsicle molds at the same time (see note below)
- - Freeze until solid
- FOR SOLID COLOR PINK POPSICLES
- - Mix the lilme zest and juice with the coconut milk
- - Add in the tequila
- - Stir the coconut/lim/tequila mix into the strawberries until evently mixed
- - Pout mixture into the popsicle molds
- - Freeze until solid
- - If making barbled popsicles it is easiest to transfer the strawberry and coconut mixtures to containers with a spour to pour, I use two liquid measuring cups
- - You can omit the tequila if you want a non-alcoholic popsicle