The recipe I have for you today comes from my love of sangria (I mean, come on, what’s not to love) and my desire for something cozy when it’s cold out (i.e the below low teens spreading across the mid-east right now). I’ve experimented with several different kinds of hot sangria and I think so far this spiced apple version with berries is my favorite! My Spiced Hot Apple Cider Berry Sangria is the perfect blend of tangy, sweet and spiced, make yourself some this weekend!
First you start by slicing up some apples (I used honey crisp, which are my favorite apples in the history of ever and I left the peels on but you can use any apples you desire and peel them if you like) and softening them a bit in a pan. Then I pour in some apple cider and cook it for a few minutes until it’s reduced a bit. This is also the point at which you should throw in your mulling spices, however, I forgot about this until later… oops.
Next add in some wine (I used a tempranillo but really any red wine would be fine, although I suggest something not too sweet since there’s already a fair amount of sweetness in the sangria), triple sec, and berries (I used frozen mixed berries because I refuse to pay $5 for a half pint of blueberries, but if you have fresh berries available they work as well).
Let everything cook together for a few minutes until it’s hot.
Spoon into wine glasses or mugs and serve immediately.
The perfect drink for a cozy night in or for to serve at a party 🙂
- 1 honey crisp apple - thinly sliced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 mulling spice bags
- 16 oz frozen mixed berries (fresh works too) - thawed
- 1 cup triple sec
- 1.5 liters tempranillo wine
- - Place the apple slices in a pan and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat
- - Add the apple cider and spice bags and simmer until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes
- - Stir in the berries, triple sec, and wine cook over low heat until hot, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- - Ladle into wine glasses or mugs and serve immediately