Happy 2017, friends! I made some s’mores cookies to help celebrate surviving the first Monday workday of the New Year! They are a soft and chewy chocolate chunk cookie with melty marshmallows and crisp graham cracker bits!
If your resolution is to eat healthier then let me apologize, because one of my resolutions is to bake more (another is to make more cocktails, but more on that later this week).
I absolutely LOVE s’mores or anything s’mores flavored, so a few weeks ago when I was craving s’mores and trying to plan a dessert for a dinner with friends I came up with these delicious s’mores cookies!
When I first tried to make them they tasted amazing but looked a little disastrous, it took two more tries for me to get the recipe just right and believe me, it was well worth the effort!
The issues arise from the marshmallows, you can’t stir them into the cookie dough or you end up with cookies that look like this:
While they are still quite delicious, the cookies spread because the marshmallows melt during cooking and the cookie collapses. The way to get around this is to mix your dough without the marshmallows, scoop the dough into balls, and then add the marshmallows to the individual balls as shown below:
I know this is more time consuming and a bit high maintenance for a cookie, but trust me, they are so delicious you won’t mind at all after the first bite! If you really have no patience (I can definitely relate) and don’t care how your cookies look, feel free to mix the marshmallows into the dough, but don’t be surprised when they look like giant blobs rather than circular cookies.
These are everything you love about s’mores except you don’t need a campfire to enjoy them!
I’m planning to curl up with a cookie, some hot chocolate, and a good book to warm up from the rather frigid weather outside. If you need me this is where I’ll be hibernating until winter leaves.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (this was 6 crackers for me)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks (I used semi-sweet)
- For Topping Dough Balls (See Notes)
- 1 cup marshmallows
- broken graham cracker pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Using a mixer cream together the butter and sugars
- Add vanilla and egg and mix until incorporated
- In a separate bowl combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, salt, and baking powder
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet just until a dough forms
- Stir in the chocolate chunks
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Using a small cookie scoop (or your hands) make ~1" dough balls
- Press a few marshmallows into the dough and add graham cracker pieces if desired
- Place marshmallow containing dough balls on the prepared cookie sheet an inch or two apart
- Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes
- Remove from oven when the edges are starting to brown, let cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- - For the graham cracker crumbs, crush the crackers first (I used the food processor, but you can also use a bag and mallet) then measure.
- - I highly recommend using chocolate chunks. Chocolate chips work, but to me the chunks are more reminiscent of actual s'mores.
- - Add the marshmallows to the dough ball, do NOT mix into the dough or your cookies will collapse and spread when the marshmallow melts
Melty marshmallow love forever <3