After a few days of temperatures in the mid to upper 50s Gettysburg is back to what my mom would call seasonal weather (I just call it cold). To fight off the cold there’s nothing like nice hot food, so I have a recipe for Butternut Squash Soup to help warm you from the inside out. I developed this recipe this fall when I had a bunch of left over squash, it’s super simple and super easy, try it out yourself!
First you roast the squash with some olive oil, nutmeg, and salt & pepper.
Then you cook up some garlic and onion in a pan, add squash, vegetable broth (or chicken broth if that’s what you have on hand), parsley, tarragon, thyme, and a bay leaf (or whatever spices you want), and smash ’em all together. You could use an immersion blender if you have one, or put everything in a regular blender (which I was way too lazy to do) if you want the soup to be smooth, but it’s just as delicious with some chunks of squash.
I served mine with hot sauce and Pecorino Romano cheese (you can use Parmesan if you don’t have Pecorino Romano), and it was delicious!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium butternut squash – cubed (about 3 cups cooked)
extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – grated
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon dried thyme
30 oz. vegetable or chicken broth
hot sauce for serving (optional)
Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
– Place cubed squash on a baking sheet, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with nutmeg, salt & pepper, and toss to coat. Roast at 450 °F for 30 min. or until soft
– Cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until translucent (about 3 minutes)
– Add the squash, bay leaf, and dried spices to the pan, smash together with a potato masher
– Pour in the vegetable broth and smash until combined
– Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
– If desired puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender. Soup can also be served as is
– Serve, garnishing with hot sauce and cheese if desired