I’ve wanted an ice cream maker for the last few years and for my last birthday my boyfriend got me one! The first thing we made was this Biscoff and Toasted Almond Ice Cream from Foodness Gracious. Then for Thanksgiving we decided to try and come up with our own recipe so we created this Pumpkin Brown Butter Pecan Ice Cream. We combined a few different ice cream recipes and this deliciousness was born! It’s a great combination of rich custard, creamy pumpkin, decadent brown butter, and crunchy cinnamon sugar pecans. It’s a great taste combination you’re not gonna want to miss! And if you don’t have an ice cream maker you can try this plastic bag method. While I LOVE butter pecan ice cream if you aren’t a fan of nuts you can stir in crushed ginger snaps instead, we tried this with one of the batches too and it was really good as well!
First whisk some egg yolks in a heat safe bowl (note we tripled this recipe so we would have 3 quarts, the recipe I’m posting here makes 1 quart). Add some cinnamon and ginger.
Pour some cream in a metal bowl and sit the bowl in ice water. place a mesh strainer over top.
In a high sided pan brown some butter (learn how to brown butter here) and then add brown sugar and a dash of salt and cook until it melts. this part takes awhile and it won’t be purely liquid so don’t worry, you aren’t doing it wrong, it will still taste amazing).
Slowly add milk, it may foam up so be careful as you’re adding.
Stir half of the milk/sugar mixture into the the eggs, whisking constantly.
Add the egg mix back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk/sugar mix.
Add the pumpkin and stir until it starts to thicken up.
Pour the mixture through the strainer into the cream. Add the vanilla and cool in the fridge.
Freeze in the ice cream maker. When there are about 5 minutes left add some maple bourbon and pecans to the machine.
You can use regular pecans but I suggest cinnamon sugar pecans to add even more flavor!
Scoop it out and serve
You can top with caramel syrup and extra pecans for even more flavor!
Pumpkin Brown Butter Pecan Ice Cream
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2/3 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoon butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup whole milk
1 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans (I use cinnamon sugar pecans)
1 tablespoon maple bourbon (optional)
crushed gingersnaps (optional for serving)
caramel sauce (optional for serving)
– In a heat safe bowl whisk the egg yolks then whisk in the cinnamon and ginger
– Pour the heavy cream into a metal bowl, place the bowl in ice water and place a mesh strainer over top
– Brown the butter in a high sided pan, then stir in the brown sugar, and salt, cook, stirring constantly until the sugar is melted (don’t worry if the sugar is not completely melted)
– Slowly add the milk, it will foam up so add carefully
– Stir half of the milk/sugar mixture into the egg mix, whisking constantly
– Add the egg/milk mix to the pan with the remaining milk mixture
– Add the pumpkin and cook until the mixture thickens and coats a spatula (about 5-7 minutes)
– Pour the mixture through the mesh strainer, add the vanilla and stir
– Cool the mixture in the fridge for a few hours
– Freeze the ice cream in your ice cream maker according the manufacturer’s directions
– With 5 minutes left in the ice cream maker stir in the pecans and bourbon
– Serve with extra pecans, crushed gingersnaps, and caramel sauce as desired