I made the most of my snow day last Tuesday by busting out the sprinkles and chocolate to bake these amazing oreo birthday cake chocolate chip cookies!
I really hate the cold so my ideal snow day consists of baking, drinking something hot (I suggest this), and snuggling with Minnie (who looks adorable in her winter coat but was not a fan of the snow). When I surveyed the baking section of my cabinet I realized I had a bunch of sprinkles (because I have a problem and buy them at Marshall’s and TJ Maxx pretty much anytime I see them…), a large variety of chocolate chips (I ended up using semi-sweet and white, you can use whatever you like or have on hand), and some leftover birthday cake oreos.
I’ve always loved pretty much anything with sprinkles so a few years ago when I first discovered birthday cake flavor oreos I was hooked. While oreos were never my cookie of choice (except when I wanted to torture my brother, who loves oreos and despises peanut butter, by dipping oreos in peanut butter, you know, typical sibling love) the birthday cake variety are addictive!
I used my s’mores cookies as a base for these oreo birthday cake chocolate chip cookies and this new version was just as delicious!
They’re also some of the prettiest cookies I’ve ever made, I LOVE how colorful they are.
In true food blogger fashion I put extra oreo chunks, sprinkles, and chocolate chips onto the cookie dough balls before baking, but even the dough itself is so colorful, if you’re short on time or just lazy (which I totally support, less time between you and cookies is a good thing) the plain cookies are still so pretty (yes, I actually love to eat pretty things more, stop judging me).
You could also mix these up with whatever oreos you prefer (honestly though, I think you’re wrong if birthday cake aren’t your favorite, we can still be friends though) and throw in some fun seasonal sprinkles.
Oreo Birthday Cake Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter - softened
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract see note
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup birthday cake oreo crumbs ~8 cookies, I used a mix of regular and golden
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Optional: additional oreo chunks chocolate chips, and sprinkles for topping
Preheat the oven to 375 °F
Using a mixer cream together the butter and sugars
Add the vanilla and the egg
In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and oreo crumbs
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until just combined
Place the chocolate chips and sprinkles in the bowl and mix until evenly distributed (with a stand mixer on low speed these should only take a few seconds)
Using a small cookie scoop form balls of cookie dough and place onto a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
If desired place extra oreo chunks, chocolate chips, and a dash of sprinkles on top (see note)
Bake at 375 °F for 12-14 minutes until the cookies are slightly golden around the edges
Let sit on the cookie sheet for ~3 minutes, then remove to a wire cooling rack
- I HIGHLY recommend using the clear imitation vanilla for this recipe, I know that sounds strange, but it gives baked goods that funfetti flavor we all remember from childhood
- I used my mini food processor to make the oreo crumbs (I used 5 golden and 3 regular oreos) but you can also use a plastic bag and rolling pin, the crumbs should be the consistency of sand
- If you want to add the extra decorations I found that 1-2 chunks of oreo and 2-3 chocolate chips worked best as a topping, simply press them into the dough balls on the cookie sheet and add a few pinches of sprinkles on top
These cookies are definitely calling your name!