Every Wednesday my friends and I get together to cook dinner and watch American Horror Story (I just started watching this season, if you haven’t seen it you’re missing out!). This week we decided to make Mexican Lasagna and I’m super glad we did because it was fantastically delicious! Now, you may be asking, “what exactly is Mexican Lasagna, that sounds strange”. Well, let me tell you, you take the concept of lasagna, ya know, layered pasta, sauce, and cheese, and give it a twist with Mexican ingredients and flavors. You end up with a spicy, cheesy, vegetable, beef filling with salsa and corn tortillas that will blow your mind!
First start by cooking some onion, garlic, and ground beef. Then drain the grease, add a can of crushed tomatoes, belle peppers, and taco seasoning (I don’t have a picture of the first two steps because I was starving and forgot… oops). After that cooks for a minutes stir in some corn and black beans.
Meanwhile, spread a thin layer of corn meal into the bottom of a baking dish.
Put some corn tortillas on top.
Scoop half of the beef/veggie mix on top.
Add half of the salsa and shredded cheese.
And another layer of tortillas.
Followed by more beef/veggies, salsa, and cheese.
Pop it in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly and amazing.
Let it sit for a few minutes (warning: this is a feat requiring enormous amounts of self control), then slice it and serve with sour cream as desired.
Makes 1 – 13 x 9″ baking dish (serves ~12)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium sweet onion – chopped
2 lbs ground beef
2 cloves garlic – minced
2 bell peppers – chopped
2 packets taco seasoning (or mix of cumin, chile powder, paprika)
15 oz can diced tomatos with green chiles
15 oz can black beans
8 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup corn meal
12 corn tortillas
4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
16 oz salsa
sour cream – optional for serving
– Preheat oven to 350°
– Cook the onion in a pan with oil for 5 minutes or until translucent
– Add the ground beef and garlic and cook until the beef is no longer pink, then drain the grease and return to the heat
– Add the pepper, canned tomatoes, and taco seasoning to the pan, and stir
– Stir in the black beans and corn
– Meanwhile sprinkle the corn meal into the bottom of a 9 x 13″ pan
– Space out 6 tortillas on top of the corn meal
– Layer the beef/veggie mix, salsa, and cheese
– Repeat the layers of tortilla, beef/veggie mix, salsa, and cheese
– Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted
– Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes
– Cut and serve with sour cream as desired