I’ve mentioned before that I have an obsession with pinterest. If pinning something magically made it appear in your closet/kitchen/backyard I would be one happy girl, but since that isn’t going to happen anytime soon, my roommate and I made these delicious Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins from Half Baked Harvest (check out the blog, it’s awesome!) appear in our kitchen the old fashioned way, by cooking them ourselves.
First, cover your chicken with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and bake it in the oven along with some sweet potatoes. While the chicken and sweet potatoes are baking, wilt some spinach in a pan. Mix up your sauce by mincing some dried chipotle peppers, a red bell pepper, and garlic, then combine it with olive oil, fresh lime juice, oregano, chili powder, salt & pepper, and fresh cilantro.
When the chicken is done shred it and mix it with the wilted spinach and about 3/4 of the sauce.
After the sweet potatoes are tender cut them in half and scoop our the insides so that there’s a small layer of sweet potato left (enough so the skins don’t collapse). Then brush some sauce into each skin and return them to the oven. Your kitchen will smell absolutely amazing at this point, you’re going to wish you could speed up time and eat the finished product!
Spoon the chicken/spinach/sauce mixture into the sweet potato skins and top with some grated sharp cheddar cheese.
Return them to the oven to melt the cheese.
Serve them with some sour cream (because sour cream makes EVERYTHING better). Soooooo delicious!
Recipe (adapted from Half Baked Harvest)
Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins
3 medium to large sweet potatoes
1 large (or 2 small) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
2 cups spinach
2 cloves garlic – minced
3 dried chipotle peppers – minced
1 red bell pepper – minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 whole lime – juice and zest
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro – chopped
5 oz sharp white cheddar cheese – grated
sour cream – optional for serving
– Preheat oven to 400 ºF
– Coat chicken with olive oil and salt and pepper, bake in the oven for 25 minutes (or until done)
– Wash sweet potatoes and place in the oven with the chicken for 50-60 minutes until tender when pricked with a fork
– While the chicken and potatoes cook, wilt the spinach by heating in a skillet
– Combine garlic, chipotle peppers, bell pepper, olive oil, lime, dried oregano, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, and salt & pepper (to taste) in a bowl
– When the chicken has cooked, allow to cool for a few minutes, shred with a fork, and mix with the wilted spinach and about 3/4 of the sauce
– After the sweet potatoes are done, cool for a few minutes, cut in half, scoop out the insides (leaving enough sweet potato flesh so that the skins can stand). Brush some of the sauce into each skin and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes
– Remove the skins from the oven, fill with the chicken/spinach/sauce mixture, and top with grated cheese. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes (or until the cheese melts)
– Serve, topping with sour cream if desired