Because it’s freezing outside and according to the weatherman it will continue to be freezing for the foreseeable future I have another soup recipe for you. This time I bring you a recipe that I just came up with and made for the first time yesterday: chicken tortilla soup. I’ve always loved chicken tortilla soup (I mean, what’s not to love, chicken, veggies, spices, fried tortillas, sour cream, and avocado, yum!) but I had never made it until yesterday. This recipe is so easy and delicious that I’ll definitely be making it again soon!
You’ll need the following ingredients: chicken, olive oil, onion, garlic, peppers, salt & pepper cumin, paprika, chili powder, ancho chili powder, chipotle chile powder, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes (which aren’t in the picture because I’m a dork and I forgot about them), chicken stock, lime, cilantro, tortillas, avocado, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
First you’ll need to roast your chicken, then shred it once it’s cool. Then put some olive oil in a big pot, add the onion, peppers, and garlic, and cook until tender.
Add the dried spices: cumin, paprika, chili powder, ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and salt & pepper.
Next add black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, chicken, and the broth, followed by lime juice, zest, and cilantro.
Bring everything to a boil and let simmer for 10-20 minutes.
While your soup is cooking fill the bottom of a pan with some canola oil and fry up some tortilla slices.
Finally, serve everything up in a bowl, and garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, and cheese, delicious!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves 8 – 10
2 lbs. chicken (you can use all white meat or a combination of breast and thigh meat)
extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic – minced
1 medium sweet onion – chopped
5 sweet peppers or 2 bell peppers – chopped
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
12 cups chicken stock (I used 4 cups from the roasted chicken and 8 cups store bought)
31 oz canned black beans, drained
16 oz frozen corn
14 oz can diced tomatoes
10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro – chopped
1 lime, juice and zest
3 flour tortillas – cut into thin strips
canola oil for frying
avocado (optional for serving)
sour cream (optional for serving)
shredded cheese (optional for serving)
– Place chicken in roasting plan, season with salt & pepper, fill with water to approximately half way up the chicken, roast at 350 °F for about 2 hours
– Cook garlic, onion, and peppers in olive oil over medium-high heat until tender (about 7 minutes)
– Add the dried spices to the pan and stir
– Add black beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken, and stock, stir, cover pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
– Add the cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest
– Simmer for about 10 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
– While soup simmers put 1 inch of canola oil in a pan, fry tortilla strips in batches until crisp, remove to plate (if you don’t want to fry the tortillas you can just serve the soup with regular non-fried tortillas, but I like the crunch from the fried tortillas)
– Serve soup, garnishing with tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, and shredded cheese as desired